Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"Think Green"


I didn't get chosen for a jury yesterday. I did spend 5 hours sitting, waiting, then being questioned by the judge and both lawyers before I found out I wasn't "right" for the trial. So I got to go home, and am done for about 18 months, I think.

I've spent the morning adding more fabric to my Etsy store, Bon Bons and More. You can check it out by clicking on the Etsy button on the right.

I wanted to talk for a minute about thinking what you can do to help our environment and planet. It doesn't have to be a big thing. And there are so many ways to do your part. Here's a few things I do:

1. I've started using cloth bags to do most of my grocery shopping. In fact, I've started making them to sell in my Etsy store! The trick is to keep them right in your car at all times, and then remember to take them inside with you! Some stores will give a little off on your total for doing this. My Smiths store gives me 5 cents off on each bag. I know, it's not much, but the point is that you're not taking home another plastic bag!

2. Did you know that your small appliances use MORE electricity when they are not in use, but still plugged in!! I unplug some of the cords in the house when I'm not using the appliance. I really can only do this with a few of them....my phone charger, coffee maker, toaster, Johns razor, hair dryer. But again, every little bit helps. Maybe you can find more that are easy for you to unplug when not in use. Let me know.

3. We are slowly switching all of our light bulbs to the new kind that save energy. Yes, they cost more, but supposedly, and hopefully, they'll last longer. And again, the point is the environment!

4. The last thing I just started doing is not really for the environment....its for the chickens! I saw Oprahs show about how some animals are treated on commercial farms, and I now buy Cage Free chicken eggs. I won't go into how chickens in cages live their sad life....I'm sure you can find it online if you want. But I'm now eating eggs that were laid by a happy chicken in the good old fashioned way!

I'd love to hear how you are trying to help the cause of SAVING OUR PLANET!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog today. I like the idea of unplugging appliances that we arent using. I also heard that toasters left plugged in are one of the biggest causes of home fires ever! What do I do? I dont buy water in plastic bottles, thats for sure! I recycle everything imaginable...I dont use paper towels, I just wash my fabric towels..we gave up the M-Sat paper and only get the sunday paper now. I cant believe the piles of papers we had when we got it every day. Im sure I do more that I dont even think about. I use fabric bags or no bags...you should see the cashiers face when I say, I dont need a bag, thanks..." they look at you like you are crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saving energy is the best way to be Green..so the appliance tip is great. I've been doing that for a while now. Water usage is also a big thing. You can save water by:
    1) turning off the facet when you brush your teeth.
    2) watering the lawn left frequently
    3) take short showers...wash up and get out!
    4) using the water efficiency mode on your dishwasher...and only use the dishwasher when it's completely full.
    5) we've all heard the phrase "if it's brown flush it down, if it's yellow let it mellow"...we don't practice this one religiously at my house, but during late night and early morning feedings Dan and I both use the toilet, then we flush. And, if I'm the only one home I'll let it "mellow" for a bit, use the same water, then flush. he, he...
    6) eat less meat. people don't realize how much water it takes to run a factory farm. having one meatless meal a week will help.

    And obviously, turn off lights when you're not in the room, and shut down your computer at night. Also we can help cut down on paper consumption by only reading used books...a great way to recycle.

    good tips!

    ReplyDelete

ENGLISH ONLY!! All others will be deleted.