Monday, January 12, 2009

ANOTHER QUILTS OF VALOR



Today, I am finishing the quilting on another Quilt of Valor. These quilts are given to wounded warriors back from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. It is my favorite place to give my quilts. In fact, a little over a year ago, me, my sister, and my daughter were privileged to meet a Red Cross Volunteer at Brooks Army Medical Center in San Antonio, TX whose taken on the job of receiving and passing out these quilts. That visit was both heart wrenching, and inspirational. The need for these quilts is not lessening, sad to say. But when we were told how much they mean to both the warrior and his or her family, it only encouraged me to make more. For the full story on these quilts go to the website - http://www.qovf.org - or click on the link at the right.
My quilts are always very scrappy....I'm kind of a "use it up" type of quilter, and I don't obsess on prints, colors, or matching anything. Usually, the same background or borders will really pull a scrappy quilt together. I think there is ALWAYS a way to make it work. I always think of the utility quilts that our great-grandmothers, grandmothers, and maybe mothers made....they used what they had, in most cases, just trying to make a warm covering. And they usually all ended up as interesting quilts, full of character and surprises.

5 comments:

  1. It is so wonderful that you are doing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one too! Cant wait to see the skulls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am inspired by your work with these Quilts Of Valor. What a wonderful and comforting thing to do. It certainly touches both the soldiers AND their families.
    (sorry, there was a typo the 1st time)

    ReplyDelete

ENGLISH ONLY!! All others will be deleted.