Thursday, July 22, 2010

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT STRING QUILTS?

"KALEIDOSCOPE"

55.5" X 66"

$180.00


A string quilt is a true scrap quilt...it is made with the leftover strips (or "strings") from previous projects. These strings are usually uneven and different widths. I have a huge plastic tub I throw them in...I can't stand to throw them away! When I want to just sit and sew, mindlessly, I make some string blocks!

This type of block does need a "foundation", however, because the strings are different widths, and wonky. You can use a few different types of foundation -
  • Paper (Not my favorite...I don't like tearing the paper off later)
  • Any fabric - Use up some old, ugly fabric, muslin, or whatever (Also not my favorite)
  • Lightweight interfacing - My Favorite! I use the sew-in Pellon interfacing #905. Buy it when its 50% off!
  • Used dryer sheets - These are almost as good as the interfacing, but they limit the block size (unless you piece them together). Plus, I never have very many laying around.
Cut your foundation piece about 1" larger than you want your finished block. Sew on your strings in whatever design you want, pressing as you go. Trim to your desired size. Then just sew your blocks together!

I love this method...it's always surprising to see the finished product. I have a lot of examples in my gift shop, Bon Bons and More ...pot holders, quilts, and tablerunners. Check them out!

3 comments:

  1. 字是活的,人和環境的觀察是活的,思想是活的。不管怎樣,就是要有一兩樣是活的。否則都是平庸。..................................................

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your quilts. One of these days I will get around to doing another one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! I love these types of quilts.

    ReplyDelete

ENGLISH ONLY!! All others will be deleted.