Friday, July 15, 2011

DO YOU LOVE KITTIES?

"GIBBS"

This handsome guy is now named Gibbs, and is living the good lfe at my sisters home in Walnut, IA.

Like many communities, Walnut has a big problem with feral cats.  My sister, Kathy, who is a real "cat lady" (but really only has 4 cats since Gibbs has now joined the household, and she swears "No more!") has been aware of the problem, and is trying her best to help them.

She is just getting a TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) program up and going in Walnut, and has started both a blog and Facebook page for the program. Please visit them!

There are MANY TNR and rescue programs all over the country, for both cats and dogs.  I recently found a great one that rescues kitties that have feline leukemia - Shadow Cats Rescue.  I'm in the process right now of making some small kitty quilts out of old sheets to send to them. I can't wait to think of the kitties there lounging on them!  But I am also going to make some for a local rescue.

Please.... get involved in these programs in some way. 
  • Check locally for rescue groups and volunteer your time, food, money...whatever you can.
  • Help out in some way at your Humane Society
  • Need a new pet?  ADOPT...do not buy from pet shops!!!  
  • Most important...have your pet spayed or neutered!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Kris! Thanks so much! Your blog is awesome! Awareness is key. There are so many people that dont know that there are little furry creatures lurking about because someone dumped an unwanted pet or failed to spay or neuter their own. Im ready to hit this project full bore...my back is arched, my hair is standing up (literally) and my claws are beared...bring it on!

    ReplyDelete

ENGLISH ONLY!! All others will be deleted.