Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Do you like to Repurpose?

 REPURPOSE - to change (something) so that it can be used for a different purpose
RECYCLE - to make something new from (something that has been used before; to use (something) again

I have always loved to repurpose and recycle...anything and everything.  I think I have a huge amount of pioneer DNA still flowing through my veins and heart, because I am always trying to find ways to "use it up & wear it out".

This spirit really shows in my attitude to creating my little fabric projects.  It absolutely kills me to throw scraps of fabric away.  In my process of cutting squares and tumblers to sell in my fabric shop, Fabric ala Carte, I save any bit that I "might be able to use someday"!

I have been rescuing nice cotton mens shirts from thrift stores, and die-cutting them into 5" squares for my shop.  But the whole time I was cutting them up, I was thinking of ways I could repurpose them.  Yesterday, I just jumped in and started sewing.

I had a whole bin full of the shirt scraps from cutting the squares, and I had saved 2 shirt fronts with the pockets.  This is what I came up with...







I'd love to know if you are a repurposer!

10 comments:

  1. Like your new creations from the front of the shirts you are recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I wish I was that creative! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea and the way it looks--the colours are so sophisticated together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christie! Kind of country & masculine, I guess.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant use of the pocket on the potholder!!! I've made a lot of potholders, used a lot of shirts, but never combined the two ideas. Thank you for this wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is soooo cool. I was going to trash the pocket. See here where I tried your idea of a pocket in the back of a pot holder. Mother wants it : ) Thank you for this post. Love your blog.
    http://sewcookandtravel.blogspot.com/2015/06/2014-rsc-june-light-blue-week-4-doll.html

    ReplyDelete

ENGLISH ONLY!! All others will be deleted.